Advanced Reading and Comprehension
Comprehension is the understanding and interpretation of what is read. Comprehend means to understand and comprehension is the act of understanding. Reading comprehension is the ability or power to process text, understand its meaning, its theme and writer’s point of view integrating with what the reader already knows.
Basic skills required in efficient reading include:
- Ability to understand meaning of a word from context of the text.
- Ability to follow order of passage
- Ability to identify past history of a person or persons or references in the text
- Ability to draw inferences (conclusions) from a passage about its contents
- Ability to identify the main thought of a passage
- Ability to identify literary devices or complex structures used in a passage and determine its tone to understand the situational mood conveyed for assertion, command, question , refraining or negation.
- Ability to determine writer’s purpose,intention and point of view.
- Activating and using back ground knowledge
- Generating or asking questions
- Inferences (conclusions)
- Predicting (foretelling)
- Visualizing (picturing mentally)
- Improving vocabulary, critical text analysis and practicing deep reading are helpful to improve reading comprehension.
- Proficient reading depends on the ability to recognize words without efforts. It is determined by an individual’s perceptive development.