The present tense of a verb names an action that happens or takes place or done or repeated at present time. Habit, practice, routine, state, profession and general truth are found in the sentences of present tense. It also shows an expected action in future.
Table of Contents
Look these sentences
- He smokes. (Habit)
- She tells a lie. (Habit)
- They get up early in the morning. (Routine)
- The earth revolves around the sun. (General Truth)
- The sun sets in the west. (General Truth)
- He repeats his lesson many times. (practice)
- He deals in cloth. (Profession)
- He runs fast. (Routine)
- We play football with our friends daily. (Routine)
- We play here on Sunday. (Routine)
- He deceives everyone. (Habit)
- They follow traffic rules. (Practice)
- She loves her sister. (State)
- I hate this man. (State)
- We dislike these things. (State)
- The shop opens tomorrow. (Expected action in future)
- The result declares next week.
If the sentence begins with the pronouns you, we, I, they or plural nouns we use the first form of the verb.
Look these sentences
- We always speak the truth.
- They deceive their friends.
- I help the poor.
- You play tricks.
- These boys remain absent.
- Some girls make a noise.
- They respect their teachers.
To make negative of these sentences,we put do not and in case to make interrogative we put do in the beginning of sentences.
Look these sentences.
- We do not waste our time.
- You do not pay attention to your studies.
- l do not like your behaviour.
- They do not getup early in the morning.
- These boys do not attend their classes regularly.
- Some girls do not take interest in games.
- Do you like him?
- Do they help their friends?
- Do you love your country?
- Do they spread rumours?
- Do I tell a lie?
- Do you dislike thankless people?
- Where do you go daily?
- Why do they hate the poor?
- In which class do you read?
- When do they get up? Do they run fast?
If the sentence begins with pronouns he, she, it or name of singular person or singular noun ,put s or es with the verb,use does not in negative sentences and use does before the beginning of an interrogative sentence.Put question word before does in the sentence begins with question word.
Look these sentence.
- God helps those who help themselves.
- He leads a comfortable life.
- This shopkeeper gives short measure.
- Farina always tells a lie.
- This road leads to Islamabad.
- His father works in a factory.
- He deals in cloth. He does not care for anyone.
- Why does she tell a lie?
- Does he know how to swim?
- She does not help the needy.
- His brother never tells a lie.
- No one likes this behaviour.
- Do you help your friends in difficult time?
- Do they get up early in the morning?
- Why do you waste your time?
- How do they lock the doors?
- Where do they go every day?
- We do not hate anyone.
- Who helps you?
- Whom do you want to meet?
- Does he spread rumours?
- What do you think about this matter?
How to make passive voice of present indefinite tense?
Sentences we use object in place of subject or the object becomes active and subject becomes passive. Third form of the verb is used in PV. We use is, am or are in these sentences. In negative sentences, we use not after is, am or are. We use is, am or are in the beginning of interrogative sentences.
Look these sentences
- The poor are hated.
- The poor are not hated.
- Are the poor hated?
- Why are the poor hated?
- We are deceived by our friends.
- We are not deceived by our friends.
- Are we deceived by our friends?
- Why are we deceived by our friends?
- An uninvited guest is not welcomed.
- Where are the prisoners kept?
- The rich are always flattered.
- All the guests are received warmly.
- Nothing is done in this matter.
- New taxes are imposed every year.
- All the students are promoted to the next classes.
- The brave are always encouraged.
- Our salaries are not increased.
- Some books are banned.
- Some candidates are not called for interview.
- Naughty students are punished.
- Is his application turned down?
- He is not nominated for this post.
- How many students are promoted to the next classes?
- What is done for the welfare of the poor?
- When is the result announced?
- How much sugar is put in one cup of tea?
- Is a noise made in the classroom?
- Why are the poor looked down upon.
- His property is auctioned.
- We are told nothing.
- Some thieves are arrested by the police.
- No action is taken against them.
- What is done in this matter?
- Why is it raided here by the police?
- Why are they insulted?
- We are not sent to other cities.
- We are not taught English daily.
- Are you not given chances?
- Which chair is broken?
- Why are we asked difficult questions?